Stromboli is a simple pizza-type dish to make. It’s basically a rolled up pizza and not that difficult to make. If you have some left over lunch meats or cheeses you want to finish off, this is a perfect solution. And you don’t need a lot of ingredients for this either. But the way its all rolled up turns it into some yummy goodness! Oh my! Add any ingredients you love on your pizza to your stromboli. Unlike pizza, calzones or panzerotti, I like to sautéed my onions and peppers to soften them and then add them to the stromboli.
Any ingredients that are wet, like pineapple, olives, artichokes etc should be dried with paper towel before you use them. You can use ham, prosciutto, pastrami etc. Try something other than pepperoni. Use my easy Pizza Dough recipe and my Everyday Red Sauce for this great fun dish your family and guestings will love!
TIP – Once you begin rolling up stromboli don’t stop, just keep rolling up tightly. Don’t worry if there are little tears. Just grab a little extra dough and roll out a “patch”
NOTE – For hot/humid climates keep all ingredients as cold as possible, especially dough. Once you begin rolling out quickly add your toppings, roll-up and transfer to pan and then oven.
- 1 Pizza Dough This recipe will yield 2 stromboli - keep a small golf ball size set aside for "patches"
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozerella
- 1 Onion Sliced thinly
- 3 Crimmini Mushrooms Diced into cubes
- 1/2 large Green Pepper Diced into cubes
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 8 Slices Cappicolo Regular
- 8 Slices Cappicolo Hot
- 8 Slices Spicy Venetian Salami
- 1 Cup Olives Use sliced or halved black, green, calamata or a combination
- 2 Clove garlic
- Parchment paper Or aluminum foil if you don't have parchment
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use 1 tbsp of olive, vegetable or grape seed oil to grease a 17x11 baking pan and set aside.
- Then in a large frying pan sautée sliced onions and peppers. Once onions are soft add mushrooms. Cook a further 10 minutes. Once cooked set aside to cool down. This will yield aprox 1 1/2 cups.
- Once you begin adding your toppings you need to work quickly, so its best to have all you ingredients prepared in advance. Shred cheese & put in fridge until ready for use. Set out meats, olives and any other ingredient you'd like to use in your stromboli. Set out sauce.
- Roll out dough on a clean floured surface into a rectangle shape. Ideally, roll dough out onto parchment paper for easy transfer.
- In a small bowl at 2 tbsp olive oil & crushed/minced garlic. With baking brush paint onto dough.
- Then add in thin layer your sauce leaving a 1.5" perimeter around the dough and 4" at top of dough.
- Add 1 layer of meat in a line, then the next layer of meat, then the next layer of meat. This gives an even proportion to the ingredients without making it bulge.
- Top outer layers of meats with onion & mushroom mixture.
- Top inner layer with olives.
- Top with cheese last all over Stromboli.
- Begin rolling dough and fold in sides. Tightly and quickly start rolling up dough.
- Pull last 4" over towards you to close up Stromboli. Tightly roll up dough
- Quickly & carefully transfer to baking pan. Top with remaining garlic oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 min. Top should be golden and when you tap the dough it should sound hollow