This is such an amazing recipe for burgers!!! You can top your burgers with anything you like. The key is to start with a great meat patty. It’s what transforms it into an amazing burger! So every now and then treat yourself to a Gourmet Burger. Try caramelized onions, herb and garlic cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, sautéed mushrooms, bacon, arugula, goat cheese, roasted peppers, hot peppers, grainy mustards….the list can go on!
My burger recipe is fairly simple, the key is the grated onion, crushed garlic and Tamari (Worcestershire) sauce that makes your burgers amazing.
In your oven bake potato wedges you’ve sprinkled with oil, salt & pepper and garlic powder. A simple fry to your burger!
- 5.5 lbs Ground beef In Belize you can use ground steak or a combination of ground steak with ground beef
- 1 Large Cooking (Yellow) Onion Grated
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Tamari Sauce - this is a Gluten Free product Alternatively you could use Braggs Amino Acids (this will make the burger slightly sweet) or Worcestershire Sauce if you aren't worried about gluten free.
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- In a large bowl place your ground beef. Add eggs, tamari sauce, garlic cloves and stir well.
- Over the beef mixture grate your onion. Mix well.
- Add cheddar cheese in 4 portions and stir well. This allows for more even distribution.
- Portion out a small amount of beef, about the size of a quarter. Flatten it out and fry it up to taste to ensure beef has enough seasonings. Tamari sauce (as well as Worcestershire and Braggs) is quite salty, thus the reason for not adding salt. Most likely you won't need to add more salt.
- Using a weigh scale, portion out 7 oz patties. Form into large orange size ball. Then press out into patty.
- Using a small spoon press in centre of patty. This keeps them in the shape of a burger patty and not bulging in the centre.
- Place in fridge for 30 min. Remove and BBQ on medium flame, about 350 degrees. Slowly cooking is best.
- Top burger as follows; a dollop of mustard on bottom of patty and place on bottom burger bun. Top patty with garlic & herb cheese, caramelized onions and shredded lettuce. Serve immediately with potato wedges on the side.