This dish was created out of necessity! I had a lot of a little bit. A little bit of broccoli, a little bit of peppers, a little bit of chicken breasts, a small bag of pasta…you get my point. This is such a quick meal to whip up and its full of nutritious veggies and chicken. Not to mention it tastes awesome from the artichoke and asiago sauce. It got both of my son’s approval!!
Whenever I make pasta dishes I always set aside 1 cup of ingredients for myself and mix the ingredients into my brown rice pasta. This allows me to make a meal for all of us while addressing my food allergy. I like using Rizopia brand, found in most grocery stores.
In this dish I used penne lice, which is the smooth version of this pasta, but you could use bowtie or rigatoni. In a pinch, any pasta will do, but don’t tell Italians you used just used “any old pasta” kicking around! Why not? Rules of pasta article explains why not, plus some extra important pasta cooking details.
I had on hand artichoke asiago dip which would be my sauce. I didn’t feel like having a red sauce and I have to be careful not to use too much cream since I’m also lactose intolerant. So this is a perfect dish to make!
If you don’t have a pre-made store bought artichoke asiago dip on hand you could can quickly whip it up following my recipe for this simple dip.
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta in Artichoke and Asiago Cheese Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces
- 1 Large cooking onions, chopped
- 2 Cups Broccoli, cut into small pieces Use all of one head of broccoli. Peel & chop the stem to optimize full use of broccoli
- 1 Carrot, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 Red pepper, sliced
- 1 Yellow pepper, sliced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 450 Grams Penne Lisce Lisce means its smooth, without ridges
- 1 Cup reserved pasta water
- In a medium size bowl add choped chicken pieces with 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 cloves crushed garlic, oregano, basil, salt and mix well.
- Bring to a boil a large pot of heavily salted water.
- Heat large sautéing pan and add chicken in herbs with all the oil to pan. Don't overcrowd frying pan. Cook in batches if you don't have a large frying pan. Cook till chicken is browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pan to a clean large bowl and cover with aluminum foil. Don't worry if chicken is raw inside, the steam from the chicken will continue to cook the chicken.
- Return pan to element and add 1 tbsp oil. Add onions and cook 1 minute. Add garlic and cook a further minute. Then add broccoli and carrots. Cook for 7 minutes. Then add peppers and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and mix well. When pasta water has come to a boil cook pasta. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water BEFORE draining pasta.
- In a separate pot combine artichoke asiago dip with 1/2 cup pasta water. Add a little bit more water as needed, being careful not to add too much so sauce it doesn't get watered down.
- Add sauce to chicken and veggies and stir well. Serve immediately.