What’s for dinner tonight?? This simple pasta dish is quick to prepare, full of flavour and only has 4 ingredients including olive oil! Serve with a crusty bread like calabrese or a whole grain day-old bread to soak up liquid. Alternatively you can reduce amount of pasta liquid for a less broth-like sauce. I have a Gluten Intolerance so I made mine with brown rice fettuccine. Either way, serve immediately!
Spicy Salami Pasta – Serves 4-6
Author Ordinary Day With Milena
2 cups of red onion, thinly sliced and left in circles
1 cup roasted red pepper drained of liquid and sliced into 1″ thick pieces
1 cup of spicy salami – use a Salametti and cut into circles and then cut into 1″ long strips
400 grams dried rigatoni or bucatini
2 cups reserved pasta water
Chives or green onions
Generous amounts of parm cheese
- In a large frying pan add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add sliced onion and sauté on medium-low heat
- In the meantime bring to a boil a large pot of water, heavily salted. It should taste like the sea.
- Add pasta when water is a rolling boil. Cook pasta according to manufacturers directions on package.
- Once onions have become tender add roasted peppers and Salami. Raise heat on element to brown Salami & slightly soften peppers.
- Before draining pasta reserve 2 cups of liquid**Drain pasta. Only rinse if using brown rice pasta.
- Add onion & peppers to pasta and stir well. Add water and stir well.
- Serve immediately w generous amount of parm, chives & bread.
**If using brown rice pasta reserve the 2 cups of liquid aprox 2 minutes after adding it to the water. The water at end of cooking is too starchy and thick to use. Alternatively you could use diluted beef broth.