I am totally stealing this recipe from my husband! He is an amazing cook and can cook up a delicious pasta dish in a snap. I guess that happens when you’re Italian! He has allowed me to post his recipe and although I’m particular about the usage of beans, this dish is delicious, very filling, simple and quick to prepare.
Pasta é Fagioli con Ricotta
Ingredients Serves 4
Author Ordinary Day With Milena. All photos belong to ODWM
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/8 c salted butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 19 0z tin white kidney beans, rinsed well
- 1/2 c roughly chopped raw almonds
- 450 grams Rigatoni
- 1 1/2 – 2 c pasta water
- 237 grams (1/2 cup) of ricotta
- Salt pepper
- 1 c Parm cheese
- Bring large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add rigatoni when boiling.
- In the meantime in a large skillet on medium heat add butter and oil. When butter is melted add onions and sautée till soft. Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper. Simmer about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped almonds and sautée till brown, aprox 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup grated parm cheese. Then add one laddle full of pasta water. Stir well.
- Cook pasta till just before done, still slightly chewy. Drain and reserve 2 cups of pasta water.
- Add ricotta to kidney and almond mixture and stir well. Add cooked pasta and mix well. Slowly add reserved cooking water, adjusting according to thickness of sauce. You may not need to use all 2 cups of water.
- Add remaining parm cheeses, more freshly cracked pepper to taste and freshly torn basil. Serve immediately!!