This is a really simple, fairly quick pasta sauce. Some tomato sauces require several hours to wed flavours and of course every red sauce tastes better the next day. Fortunately this is not one of those sauces! It’s also quite versatile in that you may have to substitute green peppers instead of red or garlic powder instead of crushed garlic. Either way, it’s a thick hearty sauce that’s great if you don’t have any beef to add to it or if you are vegetarian. Try the recipe as shown and then adjust to your liking to make your own signature sauce.
Black Olive and Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
Authur Ordinary Day With Milena
Ingredients – Serves 4 Italians 6 non-Italians. It may not sound politically correct but pasta has a much different place in the Italian home than non-Italians 😝
- 48 oz of whole stewed tinned tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced or 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 4 or 5 large crimini mushrooms, stems removed, sliced and then halved
- 1 red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup sliced black olives – reserve 1/4 of olive juice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp crushed red peppers (optional)
- 3 tbsp high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 water – approx
- 900 grams of rottini pasta
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil and then add onions. When soft add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Then add mushrooms and bell peppers. Cook till mushrooms are browned, approx 10 min.
- Drain tomatoes but keep liquid. Hand crush tomatoes into pot, then add tomato liquid.
- Stir well, then add olives, olive juice, salt, red crushed peppers, last tablespoon of olive oil and water.
- Stir well and cook on medium heat for a minimum of 45 min, preferably 1 hour.
- Bring large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Follow directions on bag for cooking time.
- When cooked drain, add big scoopful of sauce and combine well. Add fresh ground parmigiana cheese, thinly diced chives, and drizzle a little more olive oil. Serve immediately.